HIMPOL : Himachal Pradesh Police Web Portal

Himachal Pradesh Police

Citizen Services

Guidelines & Tips for Public/ Tourists / Foreigners
How to report an offence and to whom

As per section 154 Cr.P.C. Police is duty bound to register a cognizable offence when reported by any person. The offence can be reported:-

  • By submitting in writing the details of offence either personally or through post.
  • By narrating orally to officer in-charge of Police station.
  • By informing through telephone.

The offence should be reported to officer incharge of a police station as far as possible but can be reported to MHC. If these officials refuse to register an offence a person can approach Supervisory Officer of police station or Supdt. of Police of the district.

Copies of FIRs are given free of cost. Insist on claiming your copy immediately after registration of a case.

A Criminal case (FIR) can be registered only in the event of a cognizable offence.

Precautionary Guidelines for safeguarding your property

  • Sighting of any suspious person must be reported to the nearest Police Station.
  • While leaving your home unguarded inform a neighbour you can trust and also your where about. Also inform your Police Station if leaving on a long vacation.
  • Please keep your valuables and jewelry in bank lockers.
  • Sturdy doors, windows, latches and locks are a must. Also install magic eyes and door chains.
  • Install grills on your windows as far as possible.
  • Get your domestic helps registered with the local Police Station after verification of antecedents.
  • If you find anything suspicious about your tenants or neighbours inform the Police immediately.
  • Make a list of all your valuables and keep it safe.
  • In case of theft or burglary inform the Police immediately and do not disturb the scene of crime.

Tips for Hiring Domestic Servants

  • Antecedents of domestic servants should be verified where ever possible through the police before they are employed. Keeping a record of finger prints, photographs and personal details of all domestic servants may be useful.
  • Discussion about tours etc. necessitating absence from home should be avoided in the presence of servants.
  • It is prudent to ensure the presence of a member of the family to oversee the servant's work in the office room, bed room etc. This will minimize the possibility of his tampering with anything or planting booby traps etc.
  • Whenever a domestic servant is dismissed for misconduct, the fact must be intimated to the local police immediately.

Tips for Car Drivers/Ownerss
  • Keep vehicles locked at all times.
  • Use devices like steering locks and side locks for extra protection.
  • Park vehicles in covered garages as far as possible.
  • Do not lend your vehicle to strangers.
  • Get your Car's registration number etched onto the front and rear window screen and all four window panes. So that if it stolen, this etching will help the Police.
  • Keep the Tax Token and your Driving license in original with you. Photocopy of the registration certificate will suffice.
  • As far as possible, the car should not be left unattended.
Guidelines for Tourists & Foreigners

Himachal Pradesh Police would like to make your visit to our exciting state as pleasant and safe as possible. You can help us further by following these simple tips while touring Himachal Pradesh.

  • Carry your wallet in an inside jacket pocket or side pocket of the trousers, never in the rear pocket.
  • Leave valuables and important papers, such as jewelry and passports, secured in your hotel's safe deposit box. Never leave these items unattended in your room or carry large sums of cash on your person.
  • Be wary of unexpected persons coming to your hotel room. Never open the door to unsolicited room service or maintenance people.
  • Never leave luggage or other expensive items, unattended at airports, Bus Stands or taxi stands.
  • Wherever available, it is advisable to use pre-paid taxis/auto rickshaws or, pay by meter or ask for the fare chart.
  • In the main tourist centres, the rates of porters are fixed. For hiring porters and pack animals - especially for treks - these are normally negotiated.
  • In case of any theft/loss, immediately contact the nearest Police Station

Guidelines for Protected Areas

Protected areas has been defined in the section 2 of the Foreigners Protected Area Order 1958 which is as under:-

A Protected area means any border areas falling beyond the inner line as described in schedule-I

No foreigner shall enter into or remain in any protected areas except under and in accordance with the permit issued by the Central Govt. or any official authorised by the Central Govt. in this behalf.

Following areas in Himachal Pradesh require protected areas permits Khab, Samdo, Dhankar, Tabo, Gompa, Kaza, Morang and Dubling (Lahaul & Spiti).

At present the foreign tourists/foreigners are being permitted to visit the restricted/protected areas by the authorities specified under section 3 of the Foreigners ( Protected Areas) Order 1958 by the State Govt.

Diplomatic & Officials Passport holders who wish to visit, stay or pass through the above mentioned areas and required to obtain necessary protected areas permits from Ministry of External Affairs. Application (in triplicate) should be submitted to the Northern Division, MDA, South Block, Room No. 235, New Delhi giving a minimum of 8 (eight) weeks notice to process the relevant case. However, application does not imply automatic issue of permits.

Such permits for the foreigners who want to visit such places in connection with their engagement with some U.N. Aided or World Bank Project are required to submit their applications to the Resident Commissioner, Himachal Govt., Himachal Bhavan, Sikandra Road, New Delhi. This Officer issues such permits to foreigners required to visit such places in connection with the World Bank or U.N. Aided projects and the Projects sponsored by the Govt. of India or any State Govt. or U.T. Administration. In such cases Resident Commissioner would insist upon a letter of requisition from the sponsoring authority i.e. World Bank or U.N. Agency or a concerned Union Ministry or State Govt. or U.T. Administration under whose aegis the project is being implemented.

Foreigners intending to visit protected areas which are now open for tourism, as tourists in group consisting of four or more foreigners, sponsored by the recognized travel agencies in India with predawn itinerary can gets protected area permits from the State Govt. The H.P. State Govt. has further delegated these powers to District Magistrates in their Jurisdictions.

In this regard following District Magistrates and Sub-Divisional Magistrates in H.P. are authorised to issue Protected Area Permits' in their respective Territorial limits.

Shimla District : District Magistrate,Shimla. Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Rampur.
Kinnaur District : District Magistrate, Kinnaur at R/Peo. Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Nichar. Sub-Divisional Magistrate, R/Peo. Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Pooh.
Lahaul & Spiti District : District Magistrate, Lahaul & Spiti at Keylong. Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Spiti at Kaza. Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Lahaul at Keylong.
Chamba District : District Magistrate, Chamba. Sub-Divisional Magistrates, Pangi at Kihar, Tisa,Chamba & Bharmour.